One of the most iconic surfboards in the world.
What is Sexwax ?
Mr. Zog’s Sex Wax® is a specially formulated wax used to coat the deck of a surfboard and provide traction between the surfer’s feet and the surfboard. There are four types of Mr. Zog’s Sex Wax® used for surfing: original Sex Wax, Quick Humps, Really Tacky and Navel Wax (body-boarding wax). The waxes come in a assortment of aromatic fragrances and are available in a variety of formulas to accommodate different water temperatures.
Is there really a Mr Zog?
Yes, Mr. Zog is a real flesh and blood person whose full name is Frederick Charles Herzog, III. Zog grew up in Orange County, California, surfing the local breaks, such as Trestles, Church and Doheny. His first surfboard was a used Velzy Jacob Balsa, which he purchased for $90.
Not wanting to stray too far from the beach, Zog attended the University of California at Santa Barbara–a school located on a bluff overlooking the ocean with a host of nearby surfing spots, including Campus Point, Driftwood, Depressions, Sands, Haskells and El Capitan.
After graduating from UCSB, Zog remained in the Santa Barbara area and opened a small surf shop, supporting himself by shaping and selling boards. Some of these boards with the “Zog Surfboards” or “Wave Delineation” logos are still in circulation today. While operating his surf shop, Zog met Nate Skinner, the chemist who worked with Zog in developing the formula for Sex Wax.
Since 1972 Zog has dedicated himself to manufacturing and marketing Sex Wax and other surf-related products. He continues to surf and gets into the water whenever possible.
Zog has been married for a zillion years, and if you ever make it to a beach in the Santa Barbara area, you just might see him paddling out with his two sons, Erick and Cody.
SINGLE WAX OR BASECOAT/TOPCOAT COMBINATION
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HARD & SOFT WAX?
Softer waxes will be:
- Easier to apply
- More likely to move or rub away at pressure points on your board
Harder waxes will be:
- Less sticky
- Somewhat more difficult to apply
- More likely to stay in place and not rub off
WHAT SHOULD A GOOD SURF WAX PROVIDE?
- Moderate to high levels of stickiness
- Stability Underfoot
WHAT IS A SINGLE WAX APPLICATION?
- A Single Wax Application is where only one formula of wax is used at a time.
WHAT ARE THE SHORTCOMINGS OF A SINGLE WAX APPLICATION?
- Increased Stickiness requires a softer wax which in turn will reduce Stability Under Foot.
SHOULD I CONTINUE USING JUST A SINGLE WAX APPLICATION?
- If Single Wax levels of stickiness and stability are adequate for your needs then there is no reason for you to switch to Basecoat/Topcoat combinations.
WHEN SHOULD I USE A BASECOAT/TOPCOAT COMBINATION?
- When you want to increase the stickiness you get with your single wax application without sacrificing stability.
HOW DO BASECOAT & TOPCOAT COMBINATIONS WORK?
- A harder Basecoat formula provides Stability Under Foot with a long lasting surface texture that can hold the softer Topcoat wax in place and prevent it from moving or rubbing away at strategic points on the deck of your surfboard.
- Once you have a firm Basecoat, your Topcoat wax can be much softer and stickier than anything you could use without a Basecoat.
WHAT ARE THE RULES FOR BASECOAT/TOPCOAT COMBINATIONS?
- A Basecoat must be sufficiently hard to remain stable at the current water temperature.
- You can use anything you want as a Topcoat wax as long as it is softer than your Basecoat wax.
Why is it called Sexwax ?
Hank liked the name because it sounded phonetically cool. Zog liked it because it was attention-grabbing, absurd, and a great spoof on Madison Avenue’s not so subtle attempts to use sex to sell a product.
Naming the product “Sex Wax” has led to some hilarious misunderstandings, some great stories, and some amazing letters from satisfied, but confused, customers. There are those who have been offended by the name and refused to purchase the product. There are those who have banned display of the logo at schools and family amusement parks. And then there are those who read the label and smile with the knowledge that the world needs all the humour it can get.